OFSC Star Enhancement Team
***Covid-19 updates and Return to Skating protocols could impact the guidelines below.
- The STAR Enhancement Team is by invitation only and runs for two sessions (Fall/Winter and Spring) throughout the skating year. The invitation is for the entire skating season; if the skater was invited at the beginning of the skating season, there is no further invitation required to participate in the Spring session.
- This enhancement program provides skaters with the opportunity to develop their skating skills through extra training time and dedicated coaching to help guide them into a field of competitive skating.
- Skaters that have been invited into this enhancement program by the head coach must show dedication and commitment to developing their skating. Skaters participating in this program must be punctual (On and Off-ice), have regular attendance, and provide notice to the head coach if they are going to be absent from a session. This will allow for proper scheduling of coaches.
- If a skater is absent for more than 2 classes (on/off ice) without good cause and/or without prior notification to the head coach, they can/may be asked to leave the program. No refunds will be provided in this case.
Mandatory Program Requirements:
- Must have a full-time membership at OFSC; skate a minimum of 3 days per week on club ice
- Out of town skaters MUST show proof that they are registered full time in their home club
- Mandatory participation in Fundraising set up to benefit the STAR enhancement team.
- Mandatory participation in Off-ice conditioning; location will be determined at the beginning of the Fall/Winter session
- Skaters are required to compete in a Minimum of 2 competitions in the Fall/Winter session. These two competitions must be STAR 1-4, Super Series or Sectional level competitions and NOT Fun competitions.
- It is strongly recommended that ONE of these competitions be the Skate Ontario Super Series event being held in the North Bay area on February 19th-21st. This will allow our entire team to compete at the same competition, allowing for team spirit and club support to all our skaters.
- All Star 5 skaters and higher must register with Skate Ontario Super Series or Sectional Series.
- Skaters must display a keen interest in pursuing competitive figure skating
Enhancement Levels and Criteria
- Skaters on the STAR enhancement team will participate in a specific training day per week which includes both On and Off-ice instruction. All skaters will be provided ice time on Saturday mornings throughout the winter season and Friday evenings in the spring session (subject to change if needed based on ice contracts with the City of Orillia).
- If numbers warrant, skaters will be divided into two groups which will be determined at the time of registration. Skaters will be divided into two groups according to the level at which they are competing for the upcoming season. The head coach must be notified if a skater changes competition levels. If numbers warrant, skaters will be notified prior to the first skating day as to which group they will be participating in.
- Skating instruction will be in a group lesson format working on skating skills, jumps, spins, and other exercises to enhance skating development. Some individual lessons may be provided if needed. The Off-ice classes will follow the On-ice session.
For the 2020-21 season, skaters would be split into 2 groups of 15 skaters: if skaters need to rotate between groups, the rotation will be done in a fair and equitable way. Rotation schedule will be determined by the head coach and communicated to families.
Out of Town Skaters
- Skaters must abide by all mandatory requirements as stated above
- Out of town skaters that have been invited to the OFSC STAR Enhancement Team must skate a full membership at their home club and provide proof of membership in this club.
STAR Enhancement Fees, Policies & Refund Info
- STAR Enhancement fees are based on the length of the session and how many weeks the session runs (the number of sessions on and off ice).
- Skaters are charged additional fees for the semi-private lessons they receive however; this fee will be split by the number of skaters that are in the group. These fees are billed separately by EACH coach providing instruction.
- Lottery Tickets: Star Enhancement Skaters will receive a second booklet of tickets to sell as part of the mandatory program’s fundraising efforts and this is included in the registration fee. This booklet is in addition to the one that is included in the StarSkate program. There are twenty (20) tickets in each booklet for a total of $40.00. Sell each ticket at $2.00 each and you keep the money. All ticket stubs will be due back before the Christmas break.
- Additional fundraising initiatives will be brought forward and presented to the team as required
- Fall/Winter session: 1/3 prior to the first session, 1/3 by October 1st & 1/3 by November 1st.
- Spring session: ½ prior to the first session and ½ by April 15th.
-Additional payment policies will be in effect for the 2020-2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Full payment policy is available at https://www.orilliafigureskatingclub.com/ under the Policies section.
- Refund requests must be made in writing and submitted by email to the OFSC President at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full refund policies are available at https://www.orilliafigureskatingclub.com/ under the Policies section.
- Participants are to attend all classes both on and off the ice as scheduled for the program in which they are registered. In the event that a participant is unable to attend a scheduled class(es) or make-up class(es), refunds or credits for the missed class(es) will not be provided. It is the parent’s responsibility to contact the head coach to notify an absence.
Revised Policy effective August 2020